The program is supported in part by the Fogarty International Center / NIH 1R25TW009248 Research Ethics Initiative grant, Dr. Kerim Munir (PI), Boston Children’s Hospital, Division of Developmental Medicine.
DATES: June 24th, 2013 – July 5th, 2013
A Level: Introduction (June 24-28th, 2013)
B Level: Intermediate (July 1-5th, 2013)
The aim of the course is research capacity building through local and international research collaborations. The first week of the course aims to introduce the basic concepts in statistics and epidemiology. The second week aims to facilitate implementation of research capacity with a solid background on ethical concepts. The course covers the classes on Research Methodology, Grant Writing, Publishing and Ethics in Health Sciences.
1. Data management
2. Study design
3. Statistical applications
4. Research and publication Ethics
What the participants will gain?
Level A (June 24-28, 2013)
1. Define basic statistical and epidemiological concepts
2. Evaluate methodology in scientific publications
3. Control data collection and management
4. Choose relevant statistical tests
5. How to read and write scientific papers
Level B (July 1-5, 2013)
6. Gain insight into building international research partnerships and etchics
7. Increase research capacity
8. Develop public health research perspectives
9. Learn to use scientific evidence in medicine and public health
10. Prepare proposals for institutional review boards
Lectures and practicum with 30 participants with their own laptops.